Monday, May 11, 2009

To Almaty

Let me preface this blog entry by saying Julia and I are fine and happy as of Monday afternoon at a Holiday Inn in Almaty. But, the road getting here was a little rough. This was definintly a Mothers Day I will never forget. So, we left yesterday at 1, my driver was late picking us up, so we rushed to the airport and barely made the plane ride. Julia fell right asleep, I was so thankful, as she had decided not to nap that morning (how do kids know when we need them to nap?). So, I was happy, she was asleep, all was well, for 20 minutes. Then, they brought out lunch which was assorted meats and cheese in a plastic container. Well, everyone started popping their lid on and off which caused Julia to wake up. She was then up the rest of the flight. She was ok, just moving and grooving. She only cried and screamed a couple of times. I did manage to take her to the back of the plane and rock her, she had just fallen asleep when the flight attendent came and told me to sit down and that woke her up. She had 2 poopy diapers on the 3 1/2 hour plane ride, which is fun to change in a tiny airplane bathroom. I had to lay her in the sink. Then I looked up and realized my diamond earring was gone. Thankfully, I found it on the aisle of the plane in the floor. So, we land in Almaty and drop off some papers and go to Hotel Kazakhstan. The lobby is big and pretty and nice, so I was excited. Then, they take us to our room which is literally the size of most people's closet. There was a twin bed made for a 4 foot tall person and about 2 square feet of walking space. So, I ask for a bigger room, "No other rooms" they say. So, I say "there has to be a bigger room in this 17 story tall building". Sure enough they came up with a "suite" that was the size of 2 closets for 300 USD. I say, "No way,I'll go to another hotel". Suddenly they find me a regular room with a double bed. Exhausted, Julia goes to sleep quickly and I make some calls to my mom and Ethan and lay down. About midnight I am awakened b/c our room is really bright, sure enough our room is next to a neon Hotel Kazakhstan sign, and we only have sheers on the windows. Then, I hear the music next door start which continues until about 3am. Of course, after that begins the diarrhea and vomiting. So, there I am, 3 am praying that God will let me live and give me a way out of this situation. I finally fall asleep around 3:30 watching the Cosby Show and then little Julia is up about 6am. The first thing I do is call Ethan, then the Holiday Inn and book a room. So, we moved at about noon today. So, thanks to my husband, mom and the Holiday Inn, we are now very happy and settled. We have no appointments today, but tomorrow we go to the SOS medical clinic to have Julia checked out and then I find out at 4pm whether I get to go home on Thursday (pending Julia's passport release from the US consulate). My gut tells me I do, and that is usually right. So, this evening Julia and I are going to go to the hotel resturant and eat. Kids eat free here, that is no small thing with Julia :) Hopefully tonight we will get some rest. Thankfully the new hotel room has heavy curtins and clean floors! I might just sleep without my sleep sack tonight!

3 comments:

  1. this is a story for her baby book, for sure! a unique first mother's day with your daughter, but praise the lord you are safe. i looking at the calendar right now and smiling from ear to ear thinking about your departure date. can't wait to give you two a squeeze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So close!! Yay! I hope that you are feeling better. I don't know what it is about Almaty on the return trip. I was really sick there, and I know a few others that were too. Somehow, we all survived. I think we make up our minds to be better, considering the return trip home is so close! I've been thinking about you and Julia like crazy...many, many prayers for you. Take care!

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! Still have not forgotten about you. I have been thinking about you non-stop throughout most of the day. I am so sorry that your travels have been difficult and my heart and prayers go out to you as you and julia take the last leg of the trip. There is, without a doubt a warm welcoming place here for you, always and forever. We want you home so badly. You are the very best Mom for Caleb and Julia. May you be lifted up and carried home smoothly and without much poop or crying. I love you very much.

    ReplyDelete